Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Brave Knights and Stubborn Princesses 4

Brave Knights and Stubborn Princesses


 Section 4 of 5
April 2007 (age 12) 
By Kimberly

 
            When Sir William regained consciousness, he found that his sword was gone, he was in a dim dungeon cell with one wrist chained to the wall, and the princess was nowhere in sight.
            Minutes dragged on and Sir William began to think that saving the Princess had not been a good idea.  He wondered why he had even taken up the offer. The pain in his stomach was sharp and he couldn’t seem to find a comfortable place on the hard stone floor. The princess was meanwhile in Mr. Dragon’s room talking to him. He did not seem as amiable as he generally was. He was growling lowly the whole time. But Alison ignored his behavior and just kept talking.
            “Oh, Mr. Dragon, he came!” she exclaimed. “Sir William came! I’ve always liked Sir William. He’s kind, and strong, and good-looking. But he’s determined to ki…. I mean… he…” she stopped realizing that the dragon might kill Sir William if she was not careful with what she said. “Other than that he doesn’t particularly like animals I would have no complaint about marrying him.” She fell silent for a moment deep in thought.
            “I had to lock him up because I needed more time to think. I suppose I should go and talk to him. I’m a little nervous though. But I’ll be back.”
            The dragon let out a loud snort as she left the room. She ran to the small kitchen and after serving two bowls of soup she carefully walked to the dungeon. Unlocking the cell door, she greeted Sir William.
            “I hope you’re not in too much pain. I really didn’t think that it would cause you to become unconscious. I simply needed more time to think.”
            “Princess, I am…”
            “Please, Alison.”
            “Alison? Is that a middle name?”
            “No. It’s just an ordinary name. You see, I’m tired of the long troublesome name that my mother gave me. Alison is much more manageable. I’m sure you can’t imagine having such a long name that you can hardly remember yourself!”
            “I suppose I have never suffered from that.” Sir William chuckled, then he grabbed his stomach in pain.
            “Oh! Are you all right?” Alison exclaimed.
            “I’ll be fine. But it might take a few days for this bruise to heal.”
            “I am so sorry, Sir William. I never meant to cause you pain. I…”
            “Alison,” Sir William interrupted. “Alison, I’m not sure what to think. Your mother asked me to save you and after thinking about it I came to the conclusion that you are a princess that I would hate to have missed the opportunity to try to save.  I would be honored if you would consider marrying me.” Alison looked down at her soup. It seemed that no one had told her that they would be honored to marry her before. All the other Lord’s sons seemed to think they were doing her a favor by asking.
            “You are kind, brave, and beautiful.” He went on. “I know that when you become queen you will rule justly and honorably as your mother has. To be able to be part of your future would be a great honor.” Alison was now nearly in tears as she listened to him speak.
            “I know that your pets have been an area of great contention,” Sir William continued, “But I think we could figure out a way to manage that. Perhaps we could build a section off of the castle specifically for the animals so that you can visit them often without having them wandering all over the castle.” Alison was now softly sobbing. Her hair covered her drooping head so that Sir William couldn’t tell what kind of response he was getting. With his free hand he gently smoothed her hair back so that he could see her tear-streaked face.
            “Sir William,” she sobbed.
            “Please, just William.” He encouraged.
            “William,” she began again looking into his eyes, “If you would be happy to marry me, I would be twice as happy to marry you. I’ve been waiting for the day when someone would ask me because of who I am, not just the kingdom, the power, and the wealth they would receive. Ever since I met you at the banquet we held at the palace three years ago I have been interested in learning more about you. I admire your courage, strength, gentleness and kindness.  I was greatly impressed when I heard how you gave money from your own personal allowance to help several poor women. And how one day you helped build a hut for a poor family with your own hands. You have often helped those not so well off as yourself and have treated all with kindness and generosity. I would be happy to marry you.”
Sir William was somewhat surprised, though pleased that she knew so much about him.
            “As for the animals,” the princess continued, “I don’t mind making some changes, though I wouldn’t not do so for someone less.”
            They both fell silent and stared at their bowls of soup for a moment.
            “And the dragon?” Alison suddenly broke the silence. “You will let him live. I couldn’t… I mean… Even leaving him will be hard.” She looked up at Sir William pleadingly.
            “Of course,” William comforted, “We shall leave the dragon as he is. But really Alison you may not need to have all these animals so important anymore. You have me now.” Alison looked up and their eyes met.
            “Perhaps. We’ll have to see.” She softly answered. “It will be a big change for both of us. But I still can’t help but worry for Mr. Dragon he seems so helpless. What if someone decides to try to kill him just for show?”
            “He’s a dragon, Alison!” Sir William exclaimed.
            “Yes, but you seemed pretty confident that you could kill him.”
            “Well, yes.” he admitted, “But he’ll survive somehow, he did for many, many years before you came along. Don’t worry about him. Should we eat?”
            “Yes, I suppose we should. It is getting late. Oh! I almost forgot! Let me unchain your wrist, I’m sure it simply wouldn’t be at all proper to watch my husband-to-be eat while his wrist was still chained! You should have mentioned it earlier!” She quickly pulled out a key and unlocked the metal cuff.
            “There!” she sighed as Sir William pulled his hand free and gently rubbed his wrist.
            “Thank you. It was beginning to become uncomfortable,” he said taking a spoonful of soup. “This is delicious,” he approved. “Is there a kitchen in this castle?”
            “Yes, a small one. I brought along some food supplies when I left home. They are almost gone though since no one thought I would be here so long.” Alison smiled.  Sir William returned the smile and continued with his meal.
            “I suppose it is too late to return to the castle tonight,” William commented. “I guess we’ll have to spend the night here. Is there anywhere comfortable to sleep?”
            “I’m not sure about comfortable, but there is an old mattress in the front tower across from mine. If we want to we can wave goodnight to each other from across the balconies.” She smiled.
            “Hopefully it won’t be infested with rats,” Sir William commented as he stood up with his empty bowl. Alison also stood and brushed off her skirt.
            “Come I’ll show you to the entrance to the tower staircase. I can bring the dishes back and then I must say goodnight to Mr. Dragon one last time.”

... to be continued...


1 comment:

  1. Let's hope that it isn't infested by rats! =P Can't wait till the next part.

    ReplyDelete